Friday, October 26, 2007

Getting to Work with your Pattern

Ok.. here goes this blog I promised to add.


As I have mentioned in my previous blog (check the Archives on the right) each pattern comes with specific instructions. From the layout to piecing up together. Below is how an example of a pattern instructions look like.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


The brand new patterns comes in one big print out - like a tissue paper type. You have to cut to size to easily trace onto the cloth, something like below. This current pattern I have comes with many different designs so I just pick the required pattern piece. What I have done is I took the pieces I need and have it place properly onto the laid cloth by using pins to pin them down.



Next, I would use a tracing paper (not the type of tracing paper that is meant for paper. This tracing paper is made of wax and meant only for cloth - for those who are new to this).

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Once it is traced, I will use a good scissors to cut the pattern out. That is cut on the dot you traced.

NOTE: Some patterns does not come with Seam Allowance (to allow access to sew the pattern up). So in which case you have to read the pattern instructions first before you start working on it. I am a PRO already ;)!

Once you have cut the pieces out, you are all set to piece them up together. You need to know the different kinds of finishes to prevent your seams from fraying after a wash. If you are unsure and want a quick solution, I recommend you can also get a pinking shears ( a special scissors with triangles) to cut the cloth so you can skip this step and just sew.

No comments: